One of my absolute favorite dishes is this lemon orzo salad topped with feta and walnuts. It does double-duty as both a beautiful salad for serving at parties or potluck as well as a go-to meal prep lunch.
This fresh lemon orzo salad is bursting with flavor and just screams SUMMER! It’s not only a beauty but everyone who tastes it absolutely raves over it.
I’ve recently hopped on the train of meal prep, and as a work-from-home Mom, it is a life saver. I used to think I would have time to make a lunch. I work from home, right? Well, yes, but I never let myself take the time to prep anything nutritious. This lemon orzo salad with feta and walnuts has been my go-to meal prep dish lately, so I knew I had to share it with all of you!
- Orzo Pasta
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice & Lemon Zest
- Arugula – or swap in spinach for a change!
- Feta – you could swap in your favorite crumbled cheese
- Walnuts – be sure to toast them to bring out their flavor or sub in your favorite nuts!
Since I wanted it to be a dish that could carry me through a busy workday, I wanted it to be jam-packed with nutritious, good fats. Walnuts do the trick! They add the perfect crunch to this lemon orzo salad.
How to Make Lemon Orzo Salad with Feta & Walnuts
This is a super simple salad to make, find the full recipe measurements and instructions at the end of a post, but here is a quick run down for how to make it.
COOK ORZO: You can’t have orzo salad without ORZO! It’s delicious.
WHISK TOGETHER LEMON DRESSING: For the quick dressing on this orzo salad, whisk together ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil with 3 cloves of minced garlic and juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons). Pour it over your orzo and stir in roughly chopped arugula and crumbled feta. Top with your toasted walnuts. DELISH!
TOAST WALNUTS: I recommend having this step already done, walnuts can be toasted well in advance and used for snacking or on top of this salad! But here’s how I toast my walnuts…
- Toast walnuts at 375 degrees F. in a single layer on a baking sheet for about 5-10 minutes, tossing halfway to ensure even toasting.
- They pack a nutritious punch and help me fuel my day! I add them on top of orzo, arugula, feta cheese, and a delicious lemon and olive oil dressing.
Lemon Orzo Salad: Recipe Variations
You can also customize this salad to your liking. Love spinach? Swap it in instead of the arugula. Prefer parmesan? Choose that over crumbled feta. Make this dish one that you love with your favorite flavors.
Just add the toasted walnuts on top for the perfect crunch, prep it in meal dishes (here are the ones I use), and pop them in the fridge for the week. You can enjoy this lemon orzo salad hot or cold.
This dish would be a perfect addition to any summer party, picnic or potluck. You can easily double the recipe to serve a larger crowd.
This is also a wonderful dish to take to a neighbor or friend if you’re sending over dinner for a new baby or a “get well” gesture. It’s versatile, can be eaten warm or cold, and stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to a week.
I hope you’ll give this lemon orzo pasta a try. It’s become my go-to lunch recipe! Check out some of my other favorite recipes below!
More Easy Salads
Lemon Orzo Salad with Feta and Walnuts
- 3 cups orzo pasta prepared per package instructions
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh arugula washed, roughly chopped and stems removed
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- Prepare orzo per package instructions. Drain but do not rinse. Allow to cool 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, zest, and garlic. Pour over orzo and stir well.
- Stir in arugula and crumbled feta. Top with toasted walnuts. Enjoy!